The IBE was established in 1986 to encourage high standards of business behaviour based on ethical values.
To lead the dissemination of knowledge and good practice in business ethics.
What we do
We raise public awareness of the importance of doing business ethically and collaborate with other UK and international organisations with interests and expertise in business ethics.
We help organisations to strengthen their ethics culture and encourage high standards of business behaviour based on ethical values. We assist in the development, implementation and embedding of effective and relevant ethics and corporate responsibility policies and programmes. We help organisations to provide guidance to staff and build relationships of trust with their principal stakeholders.
How we achieve this
Our team apply their practical business experience of the issues that organisations face to fulfil the Institute's vision and mission.
The IBE has 7 main activities which form the basis of our work:
Offering confidential advice on ethical issues, policy, implementation, support systems and codes of ethics.
Delivering training in business ethics for board members, staff and employees
- Undertaking research and surveys into good practice and ethical business conduct
- Publishing practical reports and guides to help identify solutions to business dilemmas
- Providing a neutral forum for debating current issues and meetings to facilitate the sharing of good practice
- Supporting business education in the delivery of business ethics in the curriculum
Offering the media and others informed opinion on current issues and good practice
Please contact us if you would like any assistance.
In addition to the focus areas and activities listed above, major accomplishments and contributions by the IBE include:
- Produced an e-learning course on business ethics (available in multi languages)
- Co-organise an annual European Business Ethics Forum
- Launching a new charter mark in conjunction with the Chartered Institute for Securities and Investments – Investing in Integrity
- Participating in the Lord Mayor’s Initiative on rebuilding trust in the City
- Partnering with the Institute for Global Ethics on an initiative exploring business ethics in business education
- Operates in New Zealand
- Runs an annual student essay award, which for 3 years until 2012 has been based on the theme ‘Ethics, business and sport’ in collaboration with the CIPC (Pierre de Coubertin Committee), part of the Olympic movement.
Whilst the IBE is a registered charity based in London, its horizons are international as it works with global corporations based in the UK and overseas. Our work is supported by donations from corporate and individual subscribers.